Professor, Linguistics and Brain & Cognitive Sciences
Lattimore Hall 505
(585) 275-2895 Voice
(585) 273-1088 Fax
Office Hours: By appointment
ToPIQQ, funded by Volkswagen Foundation, is a consortium of several individual projects with an international group of researchers investigating the placement and distribution of tonal events in a number of unrelated languages that have challenged current theories of tone and intonation. In order to model both the qualitative and quantitative factors that play a role in tonal placement, ToPIQQ appeals to dynamical systems.
2. Vowel Coding in the midbrain
Dene Speech Atlas: Seeds for the Future
Website for Dene Speech Atlas (NSF#0853929). Feedback welcome. Contact me. Metasite for the DSA.
This is the Google Earth Interface developed for Dene Speech Atlas. A Google Earth layer file (.kmz) that identifies the Dene communities in the Mackenzie Basin Drainage. The Google earth interface is also available on the DSA website.
Field data collection techniques
- Co-Chair, Faculty Senate Executive Committee, 2013
- Faculty Senate, 2007-2013
- University Committee on Tenure and Privileges, 2014
- Committee of Chairs, Executive Committee, 2013
- Organizing Committee, Music Cognition Symposium, 2006-present
- Faculty Associate, Susan B Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies, 1999-present
- Curriculum Director, Susan B Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies, 2003-2005
Links: Music Cognition Symposium
Phonetics, phonology and morphology and their interfaces; laboratory phonology; Dene (Athabaskan) linguistics; neural coding of vowels (w Laurel Carney)
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- LIN 210 Language Sound Structures
- LIN 227 / 427 Topics in Phonetics and Phonology, Spring 2015
- LIN 226 Morphology
- LIN 389 Senior Seminar: Field Methods, Spring 2015
Some Current Papers
- The Navajo Sound System. Joyce McDonough. Kluwer (now Springer). 2003.
- The stop contrasts of the Athabaskan languages, Joyce McDonough and Val Wood. Journal of Phonetics, Volume 36, Issue 3, Pages 423-536 (July 2008)
- Bowern, McDonough & Kelliher The phonetics of Bardi (Nyulnyulan) JIPA (pdf)
- Carney and McDonough Predicting discrimination of formant frequencies in vowels with a computational model of the auditory midbrain IEEE-CISS, Princeton. (pdf)
- M Schellenberg, JM McDonough. (2015) Using discrete cosine transforms to characterize tones in two Dene (Athabaskan) languages. Canadian Acoustic Association
- D Whalen, JM McDonough. (2015). Taking the laboratory into the field. Annual Review of Linguistics.